St Mary’s Church
Church Street, Coxhoe, Durham DH6 4DD
St Mary’s Church is located in the village of Coxhoe approximately 6 miles from the
centre of Durham City. The church is in the Sedgefield Deanery of the Diocese of
St Mary’s is 150 years old this year; young in comparison to churches around us!
Prior to 1865 the township of Coxhoe was part of the two parishes of Kelloe and
On the 14th May 1868 the church was consecrated by the Right Reverend Charles
Baring, Lord Bishop of Durham.
In 1868 the population of the village was around 3000, with the men principally
employed by the coalmines. Today the population of around 5,000 work outside
of the village in a variety of commerce and industry.
The East Window (behind the Altar) contains a Memorial Lancet in remembrance of those from the village who died in the Great War (Click for more information).
About our Church